Iconography uses images and symbols to represent an object visually. They communicate a message and should be distinct and informative. Icons for technology products are not especially intuitive to a broad segment of our customer base. As a result, they should be used sparingly and accompanied with short descriptive text.
All icons should be on a transparent background and with the artboard boundaries at the edges of the icon. At least one of the edges should be at the standard measurement of 16px, 20px, 24px, 32px or 48px.
- Ensure the appropriate icons are accompanied by supportive text; exceptions are listed in icon usage guidelines
- Assume people understand what an icon should convey.
See the Icon components for implementation details.
The set of icons has been approved by the TELUS Brand team. Should you need a new icon to be added to the system, please suggest a feature request through TDS-Core Github issues. We aim to respond within 3 business days. All icons accepted into the system must provide ‘sufficient additional value’.
- Integrate a small set of SVG icons into the component library
- Deprecate and retire the icon font in favor of SVG-based icons
- Provide more guidance on use of colour with iconography